Sunday, May 27, 2012

Enemy (Part 19)

Sorry for the short post!
Enjoy!
***

"Shsalfita hatha?" Reem asked as plopped down on the couch, her wet hair darkened the sofa behind her. 
"Madri." I lied. I checked my phone for any messages from him. Was this the start of a new obsession?

I did not like the man at all, he cost me my job, he cost me my tears, he cost me everything I'd lost. There was no reason for me to like him let alone love him. 

My phone buzzed, and it was from him.

Who's that girl with the boy-short hair? 

I looked at Badriya and studied her features, she sometimes reminded me of a fairy with her clear white skin, wide eyes, small brown nose and medium lips, not to mention her pixie cut. Emphasis on pixie. 

Why? 

I studied Badriya again, she glanced at her white blackberry and starting punching the buttons. 

Nothing. 

I rolled my eyes, his "nothing" was interesting, but I didn't want to reply. What was the point of not seeing each other but texting? 
"Baroo7 atsabba7, oo tara Majid ra7." I said. 
Badriya replied, "Shdarrach?" 

Great, how was I supposed to tell them? 

"Um, gali taw msa3." I said, hoping to sound convincing. 

I couldn't help myself, half of my brain said not to reply but the other half told me to. 

Seriously why?

I pulled out a wrinkled dress from my closet and tugged at it in hopes of straightening it out. Of course, that didn't work. 

My phone flashed. 

Tell me her first name and I'll tell you why. Just the first name. See how generous I am?

I let go of my dress, which fell on the floor -wouldn't make a difference anyway- and replied. 

Lama, now tell me why?

I waved a hand through my hair, and waited. 

Really May? 

Why did he have to be so damn smart?

Iff, Dalal, now why?

I hoped that was convincing. 

No it's not. I think it stars with a B?

How did he know?

Since you know her name, yallah gool.

My body was getting sticky from the oil I had added. 

I don't really, I just know it starts with a B, and there's no other name that starts with a B other than Badriya, am I right?

I thought of other names that started with me, why did it have to be so hard?

Yes, now why do you want to know? 

His next reply left me quite quizzical. 

I'd seen her once before, I never thought I'd see her again. 

What?

Okay? You know we're sort of defeating our not-seeing-each-other policy if we're going to text each other. 

I threw the phone on my bed again and finally took a shower, the gunk on my skin vanished with aching scrubs. Majid had replied while I was in the bathroom. 

True

I massed my hair up in a bun and sprinted downstairs to my girl cousins, my boy cousins finally came back from their adventure somewhere and headed upstairs. 

"Umm Badriya ta3alay sa3deeni ana'6if il6awlat ili bara please." I told her as I pushed the sliding glass door with all my strength.

"Okay." she said, grabbing her phone with her.

We wiped the tables next to the pool clean, I had to tell her about Majid but I had a hard time putting it into words.

"Uhh t3arfeen Majid?" I asked her. 
Her eyebrows formed a knot, "Majid?" she asked innocently.
"Ee illi shalaiha ihnee." I said, pointing at his chalet.
"Umm la2, bas ina kan mudeerich, laish?" she asked.
"La wala shay, 7asballi t3arfeena." I replied. She shrugged and continued wiping the tables.

I shivered from the cool wind despite the scorching sun, I needed to dry my hair. 

"Badish anashif sha3ri, aroo7 oo arid." I informed her, she nodded and texted. 

I sprinted upstairs and plugged in my black blowdryer, hastily drying my hair. 

I peeked out of the window. Majid was on his phone in the balcony, at the same time my phone buzzed.

I'm at the balcony. 

He started talking on his phone, his light gray shirt fiddled in the wind. He walked around in circles while talking, something I often do, and stopped once he saw Badriya and headed back inside. 

I finished drying my hair, which was half wet anyway and rejoined Badriya in the cleaning.
We wiped almost all the chairs and tables next to the pool, and we were exhausted.

"Ugh ta3abt!" she yelled out.
"Ana ba3ad, chan nadainahum!" I replied, pointing at my cousins inside the chalet. 
"Ee i7na khadai." she said, her side bangs fell against her eyes and she flicked them away from her eyes. Her features were unique, I could sort of understand what Majid meant. 

Next time text me when you're outside the house, unless of course you want to see me or something. 

I actually laughed at his text, wayid shayif 3umra. 

Don't let it get to your head. ;)

Badriya put her hands on her hips and walked back inside the chalet. 

Never. ;)

6 comments:

  1. I'm loving ileee ga3d iy9eeer baynha o bayn majid!!!
    Nabeee a longer post next time please :$
    Oo loved it btw ;*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I can't stop reading!!!! my most favourite thing about your blog is that it's not all about love and those types of things , your blog is very unique and I really hope you will continue writing and enjoying it to!! -y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! Means a lot!
      I do enjoy writing it. :D

      Delete
  3. I finished reading Pride Deep Inside and Enemy in like 3 hours! I am LOVING your story!! Please post soon <3!

    Thanks :*

    ReplyDelete